Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Memores Acti Prudentes Futuri - Part IV: Life in Harmony

Memores Acti Prudentes Furturi will, hereafter, possess a different tone. I will focus on experiences in which I believe influenced my growth as I studied in Japan. There is no better way to grow than to step out of one's familiar surroundings and assimilate new experiences in an unfamiliar environment. This stands as my primary motivation to share my stories with you.

New Friends, New City, New Life

I boarded a bus sitting adjacent to the main entrance of the Kansai International Airport terminal as the last rays of sunlight reached Osaka Bay. Already on-board were a number of sleepy students, each hailing from a different part of the United States. I recognized several faces as many of them had been on Northwest Airlines flight 69. Unsure of how to introduce myself, I sat quietly in a window seat on the left side of the bus.

With my eyelids heavy from sleep deprivation, I fought hard to focus on the conversations behind me. One girl introduced herself as Stephanie. She had traveled from Ohio, where she had studied International Studies and Japanese language. I hardly know Japanese. What will these people think of me? I was an Atmospheric Science major at a university in upstate New York, and prior to the summer of 2008, had not spoken a word of Japanese. In fact, it was during that summer that I had started teaching myself written and spoken Japanese. Perhaps it was risky to study in a country with such an unfamiliar language, but I never felt threatened or defeated by such risks. It was, after all, a great adventure and an opportune time for self-discovery.

I turned to face the crowd behind me. I began to introduce myself and was quickly embraced by warm welcomes. One male student named Rory, a Management Information Systems major, had traveled from Connecticut and was also new to the Japanese language. Emma, who had traveled from Kansas, was studying Pre-Veterinary Medicine and had previously taken one Japanese language course. Chelsey was another Connecticut-native who had been focusing on East-Asian Studies prior to traveling to Japan. Marcus came from New Orleans, where he majored in English at Tulane University. Finally, Skyler, a young woman from Kentucky, had decided to apply her background in East-Asian Studies by living and studying in Japan.

In an instant, my anxieties wore away. My comfort came in discovering our differences - something that so many fear. We were all in this journey together, and we would all help each other through our triumphs and tribulations.

The bus pulled away from the curb and drove across the access bridge that connected the airport to the mainland. I focused intently on my surroundings. The night sky, illuminated by millions of city lights, appeared to be on fire. We snaked through a maze of highway ramps before reaching the main highway. I noticed well-lit neighborhood streets and cozy homes tucked against the hillsides lining the bay. Outside the bus, everything seemed so quiet and still. Inside the bus, the only noise heard over the engine's hum was an occasional snore. I can't sleep! I'll miss everything!

I'll never forget the moment I first saw the Osaka skyline. Skyscrapers with hundreds of windows and red flashing lights stood in great contrast with the moonless night sky. A large, multi-colored Ferris wheel spun in the foreground. Despite the sleepy neighborhoods, the city was alive. What a humbling sight. It marked the the pinnacle of achievements by the people of Japan - the harmonious coexistence of nature, traditional culture, and modern-day life. During my time in Japan, I would come to realize that such harmony was significant in every facet of Japanese life.

I am home.

No comments: